Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Curse You, Google Translate

Posted above is a picture of the Frauenkirche (Church of Our Lady) in Dresden, Germany. Kurt Vonnegut briefly alludes to this magnificent church in Chapter 1 of SH-5.  However, when I read through the paragraph he mentions it, I skipped over it.
While in the O'Hare household, Vonnegut finds Dresden, History, Stage and Gallery by Mary Endell. On page 18, Vonnegut quotes Goethe's response to finding ruins in Dresden: "Von der Kuppel der Frauenkirche sah ich diese leidigen Trummer zwischen die schone stadtische Ordnung hineingesat; da ruhmte mir der Kuster die Kunst des Baumeisters, welcher Kirche und Kuppel auf einen so unerwunschten Fall schon eingerichtet und bombenfest erbaut hatte. Der gute Sakristan deutete mir alsdann auf Ruinen nach allen Seiten und sagte bedenklich lakonisch: Das hat der Feind gethan!" Is it Gibberish? No, not quite. Could I say it five times fast? No, and I hope I never have to.
Like most non-German students, when I read this passage, I rolled my eyes and skipped over it, while praying he would define the words for me I was curious to learn the meaning of these words, but unable to do so by myself. So, I naturally (and unsuccessfully) turned to Google Translate for help. (Note: do not use Google Translate for such a long passage because it is less helpful that way)  When I eventually discovered the meaning, this is what I found: "From the dome of the Church of our Lady I saw this loathsome rubble amongst the beautiful urban orderliness; whilst the verger boasted to me about the art of the master builder who built this church and the dome to withstand such an undesired event by making it bomb-proof. The good verger then pointed to all the ruins around us and said, reflectively and laconically; 'It was the enemy who did that!'"
After reading the translation, I was able to discover Vonnegut's purpose in alluding to such an extensive quote from Endell's book. If he wanted, couldn't he have left out Goethe's quote in his own book? The answer is, no. Goethe's quote emphasizes the devastation caused in Dresden, but proves the beauty of the Frauenkirche was built to last forever. The quote also proves that Vonnegut was seemingly dedicated to writing  his "Dresden book" yet unable to do so. Vonnegut tried hard to write an entire book about Dresden, yet something in him was just not quite capable of doing so. This first chapter emphasizes the struggles Vonnegut encountered while trying to write this book, and this quote is a perfect example of his dedication.
As for me, I remain angry with Google Translate for making me go through so much trouble to find the correct translation. If Google Translate ever again makes me do extra summer work, I will say: "Das hat der Feind gethan!"

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! I'm reading Slaughter House Five, two years after you posted this and it really helped me out. Your take on his usage of the passage is good too. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete