Sunday, July 15, 2012

Heigh Ho, Heigh Ho, It's Off to Work We Go

Chapter 7 of Slaughterhouse-Five is by far the shortest in the book at just eight pages. However, although the chapter is short, it is still loaded with material. In fact, on just the 2nd page of the chapter, I was able to find a blog topic: a quatrain in the middle of typical text... with hilarious dialect. On page 155, I found the quote:
     "Me and Mike, ve vork in mine.
      Holy shit, ve have good time.
      Vunce a veek ve get our pay.
      Holy shit, no vork next day."
After reading this quatrain, I immediately began laughing at the idea of these men singing this song in a mine. I could then hear their distinct accent, mainly from Vonnegut's way of spelling the words, and I laughed more.
When I read this quatrain, I wondered if he was alluding to an actual song or not. After all, whenever I thought of miners singing, I always used to think of Bashful, Doc, Dopey, Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy, and Sneezy from Snow White. After some brief research, I discovered that Vonnegut must have simply made up the song. From now on, I am positive that the "Me and Mike, ve vork in mine" song will now come to my mind instead of "Heigh Ho"
Vonnegut must have written this quatrain as a form of satirizing the Pennsylvanian coal miners . Again, Vonnegut displayed his mastery of conveying dialect through text, and he alsowas able to produce more humor from his book.
So, yeah, that's pretty much all I have to say about that humorous quatrain. I feel like ending this blog post with a song. 7 Dwarves, take it away:

No comments:

Post a Comment